Better Living for Texans is a statewide nutrition education program for adults and kids who want to learn how to eat well and save money. You can make friends and have fun while you learn about eating healthy foods and saving money!
Free BLT Programs Available:
- A Fresh Start to a Healthier You!
- Eat Smart, Live Strong (senior adult series)
- Growing and Nourishing Healthy Communities Garden Course
- Step Up and Scale Down
- Walk Across Texas with Walk N Talk
- Learn, Grow, Eat & GO!
- Walk Across Texas (school)
BLT has served the state’s residents through teaching nutrition-related concepts focusing on:
- Comparing Prices
- Healthy Menu Choices
- Preparing Healthy Meals
- Importance of Physical Fitness
Our Focus Areas for BLT:
- Increase fruit and vegetable intake
- Increase physical activity
- Improving access to fruits and vegetables (gardening)
- Food Safety
- Food Resource Management
Here are some of our BLT News Lines with helpful facts, nutritional information and great recipes!
- BLT News Line – June 2017: Grilling Safely
- BLT News Line – May 2017: Sweet Potato Facts
- BLT News Line – April 2017: How Long Should I Keep It?
- BLT News Line – March 2017: Staying Home for Dinner is a Good Choice
- BLT News Line – February 2017: Don’t Sacrifice Flavor to Eat Healthier
- BLT News Line – January 2017: Stretching Your Food Dollars
- BLT News Line – November-December 2016: Healthier Holiday Options
- BLT News Line – October 2016: Pumpkin Facts
- BLT News Line – September 2016: Yogurt Facts
- BLT News Line – August 2016:Rethinking Snacks
- BLT News Line – July 2016:Corn or Flour: The Tortilla Debate
- BLT News Line – June 2016:Food Substitutes and Your Health
- BLT News Line – May 2016: Slow Cookers (Crock Pots): The Basics
- BLT News Line – April 2016: Kale versus Spinach: Which is Best?
- BLT News Line – March 2016: Dedicate yourself to a healthy lifestyle with these food, nutrition and physical activity tips!
- BLT News Line – January – February 2016: A New Year, A New You!
- BLT News Line – November & December 2015: Don’t let stress ruin your holiday
- BLT News Line – October 2015: Be Mindful of Healthier Halloween Options
- BLT News Line – September 2015: Extension Celebrates Family Mealtime: Make it Fun!
- BLT News Line – July 2015: Celebrate Summer with Grilling
- BLT News Line – June 2015: The Need for Hydration: Water Works
- BLT News Line May 2015: Whole Grains
- BLT News Line – April 2015: The Value of Dairy
- BLT News Line – March 2015: Eat a Variety of Colors
- BLT News Line – February 2015: Eat Healthy and Exercise More
- BLT News Line – January 2015: Start your new year with Texas Seafood. It’s fresh, healthy and easy to prepare!
- BLT News Line – November/December 2014: Happy Holidays
- BLT News Line – October 2014: A Healthy Halloween Tip
- BLT News Line – September 2014: “Celebrate Family Mealtime”