Better Living for Texans (BLT) is a nutrition education program for adults and children that are SNAP participants and SNAP eligible. The BLT program helps people make healthy meals, improve their physical fitness, save money at the grocery store, grow their own foods, and adopt better food safety habits.
Creating opportunities, changing lives
We provide research and evidence-based nutrition, health and wellness knowledge to empower individuals, families, and communities to make positive changes for healthier lives
Statistics show that 1 out of every 6 Texans struggle with food insecurity and hunger and eat less than the daily recommended allowance of fruits and vegetables. In addition, Texas children and adults are less physically active than recommended.
What does BLT do?
BLT helps families make better choices with their limited resources. To do so, we provide research-based nutrition programs that are cost-free and close to home.
BLT programs will help participants:
- Increase fruit and vegetable consumption
- Make healthy menu choices
- Save money at the grocery store
- Learn about MyPlate
- Increase physical activity in adults and children
We provide ongoing information and education to BLT program participants with newsletters that are distributed via our county extension offices. The newsletters and Facebook page allow us to provide nutrition-related tips and topics for healthier lives from nutrition-related trivia to healthy recipes!
Check out the BLT Newsletter with helpful facts, nutritional information and great recipes!
- BLT Newsletter – June 2022: Get Healthy with MyPlate!
- BLT Newsletter – May 2022: Gather Around the Table
- BLT Newsletter-April 2022: Energy Booster: SNACKS!
- BLT Newsletter-March 2022: Celebrating Cultures through Food
- BLT Newsletter-February 2022: From the Heart for the Heart
- BLT Newsletter- January 2022: Stay Safe with Fight BAC!
- BLT Newsletter-December 2021: ‘Tis the Season for Good Nutrition
- BLT Newsletter- November 2021: Sweet Potato Casserole
- BLT Newsletter- October 2021: Salad with Apples and Raisins
- BLT Newsletter- September 2021: Anytime Pizza
- BLT Newsletter- August 2021: Microwave Cooking + Use
- BLT Newsletter -July 2021: Use the Texas Heat to Prep Your Garden!
- BLT Newsletter- June 2021: Improve Your Joint Mobility
- BLT Newsletter-May 2021: Physical Activity for Life
- BLT Newsletter-April 2021: Spring Gardening
- BLT Newsletter-March 2021: Personalize Your Plate
- BLT Newsletter-February 2021: Cooking for Two
- BLT Newsletter-January 2021: Nutrition and the World Wide Web
The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer. This material (and program) is funded by the USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program – SNAP.